Thursday, May 26, 2016

Watch It Grow Rug Series #1

I've starting a new rug this week! This one will be an OVAL Toothbrush Rug 5' (60") long in pastel colors.

 How long will it take?

How much fabric will I need?

How will I balance the colors in this mixed pattern?

I'm curious to know all of this myself, so I will be recording photos and information as I progress.

To start, I have set aside 12 cotton or cotton/poly blend FLAT bed sheets. There are 3 pinks, 3 blues, 3 light greens and 3 ivory or creams (1 is a solid, other 2 are prints). Most of them are twin sheets, 2-3 fulls and at least one queen. I will make a detailed list in another post.

The photo below shows a partial stack of the fabric. At the last minute, I added 2 pinks and another blue.




I have chosen NOT to tear the fabric strips all at one time. With that many sheets, I think it will be less time consuming for me to tear a few strips at a time as I work. I don't have the time or energy to neatly roll up or fold that many fabric strips and I don't want a tangled up mess either.

To begin, I squared up all of the sheets (how to here) and tore 2-3 strips of 2 1/2" fabric from each sheet. I saved the sheet tops to use as core along with the solid Ivory Cream. I will likely need to add more Ivory Cream.

It took almost about hour to get them all squared up, the strips cleaned, and then set up to work.

I started with a 21" base and chose to use one color on the first complete round, a light green print. Then, I began color changes by using a different color one after another. I've gone 4 1/2 rounds so far. I have not used all of the colors yet. It is Approximately 23" x 4" at this point. It was about an hour and a half of knotting work.

60" Oval Toothbrush Rug Starting point: Watch Me Grow @ fourelevenrox
Total time to start the rug: 2 1/2 hours.

Stayed tuned to "Watch it Grow"...

Happy Rugging!


2 comments: