Sunday, March 13, 2016

THE END...of a rug

How I End My Knotted Rugs

Ending a knotted rug.....
How to end a knotted rug from fourelevenrox via Whitehouse Whimsies and Rugs
When I come to the end of a Toothbrush/Amish Knot Rug, I end it by pushing the working strip to the back of the rug and tucking it under the last few knots. Then, I gently pull until it is snugly in place. Once I am sure it is secure and has not been pulled too much or too little, I snip the strip. That's it.
Repeat with the runner strip going in the opposite direction.

Here is a video to demonstrate. It is a pretty easy method. The trick is to make sure the end is as least visible as possible. I worked quickly for the video, but generally, I would like for my end to be neater than it ended up being, But you get the idea, right?


Losing the "Stair Step"

I get a lot of questions about how I make the bands or stripes on my rugs so evenly, without the visible "stair step" that occurs when a fabric color is changed. 

stair step look on a knotted rug

No Stair Step on this knotted rug! (via Whitehouse Whimsies and Rugs)


I lose the stair step by ending the rug each time I change colors. I don't really recommend this for a beginner. It is a little trickier than it looks in order to do it smoothly. Honestly, the easiest way to avoid the stair step is to use a variety of colors and have fun! But, for those who really want to know how to do it, the next time I make a banded rug, I will create a step by step guide to walk you thru. 

(UPDATE! video and blog post with more detail on how to lose the stair step can be found here:
Lose The Stair Step )

Forget worrying about a stair step on a knotted rug, just make one with lots of color and HAVE FUN!

Happy Rugging!


3 comments:

  1. I am so loving your blog! Your tutorials are so clear and easy to follow. Thankyou so much for putting in the time and effort to put your posts together to help the rest of us :)
    I do have a question though...I would love to make a rectangular rug and am wondering if the toothbrush technique would work?
    Jen :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my tips have been helpful. :)
      Yes, there are two ways to make a rectangle rug. Although they are not my favorite rugs to make, one day I hope to post instructions. For now, I can explain that traditionally, you make your first row the width of the rug, then you make an extra knot (w/out the core), flip the rug over and go back down the row. Extra knot, flip, go back down the next row, again...all the way until you are done.
      If you are familiar with the "granny square" pattern in crochet, you can also use that technique. Start a round, then create corners to square up 4 sides. With this technique you will work around the rug instead of by rows. Hope that helped!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I actually think that the circle and oval rugs a most endearing and actually kinda take my breath away! I just have a particular area that I thought a rectangular rug might suit so I thought I would give it a whirl. Thankyou so much for your advice! That is super helpful and I so appreciate the time you took to reply and share your wisdom!! :)

    ReplyDelete