Sunday, February 10, 2013

Mushroom Farci

National Stuffed Mushroom Day came and went around here. (February 4th) I planned to have them...but I didn't plan very well. I forgot to buy the mushrooms. Better late than never...

My Stuffed Mushroom recipe (aka Mushroom Farci) comes from a fund-raiser cookbook, published way back in the late 70's. It is my favorite cookbook! The cover is gone, the spiral binding cracked, and the pages have many stains. I like to think of it as seasoned. I transferred it to a small 3-ring binder and sometime soon, I think I am going to recover the binder. It deserves to have a beautiful cover.

This is an easy recipe, tried and true, including my occasional short-cuts.

Stuffed Mushrooms


MUSHROOM "FARCI"


40 fresh mushrooms, 1-2" in diameter or about 1 lb
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 grated onions
2 small cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 stick butter, melted

Wash and dry mushrooms. Trim ends of stalks, then carefully remove stalks from caps. Chop stalks and mix with cheese, bread crumbs, onions, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper, and oregano. Fill mushroom caps with the mixture. (Do not over stuff) Place caps in a shallow baking dish. Spoon butter over mushrooms, being sure to wet each cap. Bake in preheated 350° oven for 25 minutes.

Shortcuts and Tips:
  • For a small pack of mushrooms ( found in the grocer's produce section), I cut the recipe in half 
  • I omit oregano if I am using Italian seasoned bread crumbs
  • Sometimes I chop the onions, but it does taste better to grate them
  • If I am out of fresh garlic, I use garlic powder to taste
  • I've never noticed that the recipe says to wash AND DRY the mushrooms. I never dry them.

Did you know the word Farci is a french word meaning stuffed?


I'm sharing this recipe at these great parties:

Share it One More Time Sunday #7 2013
Inspire me Monday






14 comments:

  1. I love stuffed mushrooms! Looking forward to making and eating some. Following you back too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing I love about this recipe is that I always have the ingredients on hand...well, except for mushrooms! lol Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  2. I love stuffed mushrooms and can't wait to give this recipe a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stuffed mushrooms are one of my faves, but my husband HATES them! I alway love getting together with my sister because we can polish off a whole pan for dinner LOL. This is different from my recipe, though, and looks delicious! (And every good cookbook has some "seasoning"!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky for me, my husband loves these...and my KIDS hate them! lol

      Delete
  4. Oh, this sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're Welcome, thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  5. Oh these look so good! Thanks for sharing at One More Time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sharing again I'm sure! Glad i found you :)

      Delete
  6. Mushrooms are my favorite! These look delicious. Might have to have some this coming weekend.

    ReplyDelete