Sunday, January 13, 2013

Winter Decorating


After Thanksgiving, I gave myself a Christmas Challenge to use what I had to decorate. I loved it so much that I didn't want to pack it up after Christmas. So I didn't. Not all of it anyway. I was inspired to keep out as much as I could, to create a "Winter Theme".

I live in North Florida. Just far enough north that I don't live close to the beach, and we don't keep hot weather. I dream of the beach ALL YEAR LONG but especially during wintertime.

Hello Beach Theme!
(in the winter)

You can see all of my Christmas photos here: Decorating for Christmas

Here's how I changed things up:


Christmas Mantel














I loved the window and the vintage photos on the mantel. I also liked the stone candlesticks here. All of these were in different places in the house. I wasn't ready to put them back yet.

I kept them there and I also kept the lights. I took away everything red.

Then, I beachy-fied it.








I added snowflakes, to pull in the idea of winter. I also snatched the pine cone garland from my Christmas Carolers theme. Then came the words, which I cut myself. (Yes I need to invest in a Silhouette or Cricut.) I used rubber cement to attach them to the glass. It will rub off easily later.

I started a beach sand collection this past summer. They are PERFECT here.




I included some shells and a sweet Willow Tree figurine I received from a friend years ago.






A small jar of sea shells alongside some glittered pine cones and the vintage family photos.






Here's another view (because I love it so much).




I used tree branches, which I spray painted white, as part of my Christmas decor. Then, I decorated around them. Here are two corner areas:


 


How I "winterized" those same corners using the beachy theme:




I want to carry the same winter theme into my foyer area, but I'm not sure if I get it done anytime soon. Oh well, at least I'm ready for winter! 

Or am I ready for summer ?


I've linked this post on the following blogs:

Create with Joy Inspire Me Monday #54
Serendipity and Spice Manic Monday 1/14

25 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Tina. I used to live 10 minutes from the Atlantic Ocean. I always have the beach on my mind :)

      Delete
  2. How pretty! Love the beachy-winter look, Rox. It's about 12 degrees here at present, even a CHILLY beach is sounding good about now :)

    Jeanette @ Creating A Life

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now THAT'S cold! I'l quit complaining. lol

      Delete
  3. Being so land locked, and staring at the thermometer reading 8 degrees, your beach theme is dreamy! I'd love it if you stopped by and linked this up at my party on Monday night :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! (And I have Willow Tree Angels too.) I would never think winter beach here in Michigan but it's a really cute combination!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Adrianne. Believe it or not, I've never used a beach theme for decorating before, except for a very small corner of my garden tub. I had most of this stuff packed away or in other areas.

      Delete
  5. I love it- you did a really great job. I like the mix of winter and beach... oh how I'd kill to be at the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So would I, more specifically, the OCEAN. I want to hear the waves and smell the salt air. Sigh....

      Delete
  6. I love these cute decorations. I love the "winter dreaming" sign the most. I am coming over from a blog hop and am a new follower. Feel free to do the same!
    www.iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Great post. I found you through the blog hop. Now following you.Please stop by and say hi when you get a chance.
    Be sure and check out my new Blog Hop that we just started, It's Weekly Goals Link Up. It's a great way to stay on track. Have a great day. :) Here's the link in case you want to check it out. Thanks again.http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-goals-linkup-html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you combined winter and the beach. We live on the beach (west coast) and it is definitely not time to be on the beach. We walk each morning, but in our parkas, Ugg boots, mittens and scarfs. I can't wait for a little warmer weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't like to walk on the beach in the cold weather. lol

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks! Me too, except not at the same time
      (Unless it is in my living room;)

      Delete
  10. What a great transformation from Christmas to Winter - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep it until Spring...I think. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  11. I love the idea of snowflakes on the beach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too...but not real snow. I'm too cold natured lol

      Delete
  12. I love it!! The window is just awesome. You did a great job. Thank you so much for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent. :) So happy to have you share.
    Hope you are having a great week.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, I've seen lots of great links at the party. Love it!

      Delete
  13. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again! GREAT IDEAs




    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete