Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tuesday 411 On Cleaning: Pots and Pans Cleaning and Storage

For years, I did not have good, quality pots and pans. I always bought cheap sets, wore them out, and two years later bought another.

I am only an average cook. I didn't know that having a decent set of pots and pans makes a HUGE difference in your cooking skills.

Because I Am a Recovering Slob, we sold (or threw out) almost everything we owned when we moved to Florida six years ago. As part of my "recovery program" I invested in a good set of pots, pans, and bake ware when we started over.

One of the first things I noticed when I bought my pots, was a little note inside one of them that said, "Not Recommended for Dishwasher".

What?

I did a little research and turns out that it really is better for your cookware if you hand wash it. It took a little getting used to, but because we were forming all new habits with our move, it wasn't too bad.  Now, six years later, I am happy to say that my pots are in GREAT shape and my bake ware hasn't rusted.

Hand washing, along with these pots and pans cleaning and storage tips have been the key:

Storing Pots and Pans


How to store your pots and pans
Do not stack your non-stick pans on top of one another. It will scratch them and cause them to loose their non-stick surface. If you are fortunate enough to have cabinets with built in shelving or racks, you are blessed. If not, try using a plate rack like I have here.

I also try not to stack my pots. I keep them with their lids. 

I store my baking pans in much the same way.

Cleaning Stainless Steel Pots


If you have hard water, cook a lot of rice, or boil eggs often, your pots may begin to look like this:


Don't be tempted to throw them into the dishwasher, it doesn't help.  Just spray them with vinegar, let it sit for a few moments, and wipe/wash as usual.




Good as New! It works for the outside also, but you may have to scrub more.

Now here's a tip for cleaning the outside of your pans. 

When I looked at the photo of my pots and pans, I noticed that my small pan had some yucky stains on it.


After I cleaned the pots with vinegar, I thought I'd try it on the red pan.



It didn't work. Neither did BarKeeper's Friend, or Citrosolve, or Simple Green, or Rubbing Alcohol, or dish detergent, or a Brillo Pad, or stainless steel cleaner. Or anything else under the kitchen sink.

But I got it off!


Want to know what worked? Good old elbow grease! To be specific, my fingernail. I felt so dumb. So simple. A scrub brush didn't get it off, but with a little scraping under warm water it was easy.

What are your cleaning or organizing tips for your pots and pans? 
Leave me a comment, I'd love to know! 

I've shared this post on:


Check out all of the other great links there!



7 comments:

  1. I use baking soda or salt. I have written a book called "How to Organize your Home in Seven Easy Steps" a little book for working mums which has a few tips like this in it sbpra.com/jeanetteodonnell
    Thank you for visiting me and for your nice commnets.:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baking soda doesn't work so well for me. I think there is something about the water. Vinegar works for some people, baking soda for others. Go figure ;)

      Delete
  2. Great tips, Rox. Love how you used your lazy susan cupboard for the pots and pans. A great use of space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the biggest space available I have in order to fit the rack. In another house, I used the lazy susan for groceries, but now that I have a pantry I can make better use of the space ;)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. i really love the plate rack idea for your pots and the cleaning tips thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, the only reason I thought of it is because I happened to have one tucked away. I fit, it worked! (Use what you've got :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, your pots and pans look simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete