Tuesday, January 15, 2013

My Favorite Inchies

About a year ago, I discovered Inchies. What are inchies? They are 1 inch square pieces of artwork. Yep. One Inch. It is AMAZING what some people can do with a one inch square of paper.




I love small things.
I love paper.
I love details.
I was sold!

I made a few last year; I've used them on my art journal pages and on gift tags. Most people use them on cards. I don't really enjoy making cards, so after a while, I stopped making them. I still have a stash and I take them out every once in a while and smile. Most of them are just backgrounds ready to be completed. But one set in particular is my favorite.





They are cut from an old book illustration I painted pink, cut up, and rearranged. Because I rearranged it, I was able to see pictures in the graphics that weren't there before. Grass became water, trees became a stage. That's how they looked in my eyes anyway. So I enhanced what I saw with color and words (cut from the same book). I added tiny punched embellishments, some gold paint, and I inked the edges, slightly.

PINK.

What was I thinking? I don't often use a lot of bright colors. It scares me. I don't know what to do with it. I didn't know what to do with my inchies. They were PINK.

I've wanted to frame them, but until recently, I didn't know how to make the pink work. I took them out a few days ago...


I decided to mat them onto a color that would work in my house. Specifically, in my craft corner. (You can see a picture of my craft corner HERE.)

I mounted them on foam adhesive.



  I used some stamps to distress and darken a piece of scrapbook paper.


Then, I mounted them onto a piece of black card stock.



Craft Tip:  Don't use a strong adhesive when mounting inchies in a grid, I use Beacon's 3-IN-1 Advanced Craft Glue. It dries quickly, but not too quickly. It gives you enough time to make sure everything is centered, and it is strong when it is dry. It dries quicker that Tacky Glue.

Some of the inchies are 3-dimensional.



I wanted to be sure they didn't get smashed when I framed them. I cut photo corners and mounted them onto cardboard.



Craft Tip:  Keep your glue on its side when you will be using it a lot. This works well for Tacky Glue, which flows slowly, or when you are running a little low on glue. It will come out faster and you don't have to sit there shaking and squeezing and waiting on glue.

It worked! They didn't get smashed!



Here they are framed, My Beloved Inchies:




One of these days I am going to get brave enough to join an Inchie Exchange.

I'll be posting an update on my craft corner soon. You'll see where I put the Inchies. It will be an After and Before post. The link above and HERE shows what my craft corner looked like right after I finished creating it. Now, a year later, you'll see what worked and what didn't. Did my organizing work?

I'll let you know.....



I've shared this post on:

Make It Monday #123
Wow Us Wednesday #16
Craft Yourself Crazy Link Party #3
Wednesday Whatsits #43
Artsy Corner Thursday




19 comments:

  1. I've never heard of these Rox! Very cool & interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use anything as the "background". Then cut it up into one inch squares. It can be addicting, if you love doing detail work ;)

      Delete
  2. Learn something new every day. Glad to see your wonderful art work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad I learned about them myself :)

      Delete
  3. I've made tiny art but never thought to mount a series of pieces and display together - not sure why, seeing yours, it makes perfect sense to do it that way and then be able to hang them. Also, thanks for stopping by my blog earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to "meet" you Leah! You can use them on scrapbook pages too. I almost forgot about that :)

      Delete
  4. wow these are fab ...i have never made any and you have inspired me to have a go...they are amazingly detailed
    thanks for joining us at MIM and good luck
    tracey x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can read a comment I left (above)about how to start them. Anything can be a background, but usually for trading and for a better work area, you should use cardstock or thicker paper. They even have inchie supplies all over the web. Hobby Lobby used to carry them, too, but I am not sure if they still do. They are smaller versions of ATC's

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  5. Those are so teeny and cute! I'm such a minimalist and this definitely sounds like a project I'd enjoy. Thanks for sharing at the Craft Yourself Crazy link party! :)

    Chloe
    http://rainbowsandhoneysuckle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're Welcome, Chloe! I've been trying to get the word out about your link party. Hope you TONS of links! :0

      Delete
  6. i've never even heard of these until today (coming to your blog) how neat! thanks for sharing!
    Stopping by from the GYB blog hop!

    Trish @ Tales from ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fluttering by from MIM! These tiny squares are packed full of crafty beauty! Wow. These are absolutely incredible and so inspiring. Wonderfully done! I hope you have a sparkly day! :o)

    Hugs and blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! These are fabulous hunnie, I have heard of these before but have never made any myself!.. You have done a fabulous job and I love the finished project... stunning!!
    Thank you for sharing such a lovely project with us this week at 'Make it Monday' and good luck in the draw:)..
    Hugs,
    Marjorie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Marjorie. I love Make it Monday. I was given lots of stamps recently and have no idea what to do with many of them. Visiting MIM gives me lots of inspiration. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  9. these are so cool! The details are amazing. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie. I am glad I found a place for them. They were so wasted sitting in a plastic box

      Delete
  10. Love your inchies and the detailed description of how you created them and framed them!
    I take part in swaps at ATCsforall and love it! There are swaps for inchies - if you check at the bottom part of the swap page. I', sure you'd love it too.

    ReplyDelete