Thursday, January 3, 2013

Makin' Bacon

When I was a young teenager, I had a vision of what I would be like when I "grew up". I was highly influenced by the old television commercial for Enjoli perfume. If you are old enough, you know the one. The woman who brings home the bacon AND fries it up in the pan...

Here's a clip if you need a reminder: Enjoli Commercial

Oh....She was fashionable. She was smart. She was blonde.
Forget the man part.
She was TALL.
I wanted to be Just.Like.Her.

I really pictured myself that way.

Fast Forward....

I'm a stay-at-home Mom who clean houses on the side for extra cash. I homeschool my kids. My hair was blonde when I was very young, but it got darker and darker with every year, and now the grey hairs are sprouting. And despite my dreams, I am SHORT.

The worst part is: I can't  cook bacon to SAVE MY LIFE!

Burned it AGAIN!

It is common knowledge in my house. Mom can't cook bacon. Sometimes, I am banned. I am not allowed to even try. We don't buy bacon very often, but I do like to treat my husband to a couple of pieces in the morning for breakfast every once in awhile. So, if my bacon-cooking daughter isn't awake, I do it myself. It is usually raw or burned by the time it hits the plate.

After another failed attempt this morning, I got an idea. I need some bacon advice. What am I doing wrong? I don't like pan frying it because it makes a mess so I usually do it in the microwave. I've heard that you can cook it in the oven, but wouldn't that throw bacon grease all over the oven? And what if I only need to cook 2-3 pieces, not the whole pack? I need help!

So, I'm planning a Bacon Round-Up. I would like to find, and post, photos of and tips for making the PERFECT bacon. 

Do you have a post about cooking bacon? Would you share it with me?

Do you have a tip or any easy "how to", but you don't blog?

If so, leave me a comment (with a link) here or on my facebook page.

Let's take it one step further! What about your bacon recipes? I'd like to include a round up of those also.

I'll be looking around over the next few days and I will also be trying what I read about. If you share your posts/photos, I'll be sure to link back and give you credit. So come on, let's make some bacon!



Please note: If you share your link, you are giving me permission to share your link and your photo on facebook and on pinterest. I'll be sure to give credit and link back!

Important Update: I CAN cook bacon now! Read about it here.

I've shared this post on
Happy Hour Friday
Freedom Fridays #35

9 comments:

  1. I buy bacon already cooked and just heat it up in the microwave or frying pan a few minutes. AND............you can cook raw bacon in the microwave too. just some ideas to try. (Cymp)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've bought the precooked also. Microwave is my choice, but it is also where I've had the worst results ;(

      Delete
  2. I have NEVER mastered cooking bacon on the stove. I recently learned that you can cook bacon in the oven! Yes, the oven! Turn on your oven to 400/425, lay out the bacon on a shallow pan (I use a jellyroll pan) and pop it in the oven for about 20 minutes. I check it after 15 just to be safe. It turns out great. When it is done lay it on a plate covered with paper towels to soak up the grease. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try it...but I am SO nervous about splatter. lol I don't have a self-cleaning oven anymore and I HATE cleaning the oven. So far, I'm hearing that it won't splatter. We'll see....;)

      Delete
    2. I haven't had any issues with splatter. Doesn't seen to be as bad as when we cook it on the stove.

      Delete
  3. Oh, and I totally loved that Enjoli commercial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, so I guess I'll be making bacon in the oven this weekend. I'll need to come up with different lyrics for the song.... :)

      Delete
  4. I can totally relate. I can't cook "fresh" bacon either. Somehow it ends up burnt in some areas and still too soft and raw-looking in others. I gave up and started buying the pre-cooked kind and "cookin" it to crisp it. It's thinner than regular bacon, and now that's what my family is used to. I can't cook bread without burning it either. Whenever my kids hear the smoke alarm go off, they say, "Bread's ready!" :)I'll be singing the Enjoli song in my head all day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bread is a joke around here, too. lol

      Delete