Saturday, January 19, 2013

Hope and Be... Attitude Jewelry

A few weeks ago, I made a charm for my daughter. When I posted about it, Connie, from Family Home and Life commented that she thought she would see the word "hope" in the charm. She knew that was my word for the year.

Good idea! I would make a "Hope" charm for myself.

Using the same materials as the Tattoo Dictionary Charm, I started looking for the word hope.

Uh-oh.

I had a problem. In more than one dictionary, the placement of the epoxy sticker would include words that wouldn't exactly "work" for my Word of the Year charm.

Hope in Beer?


I tried several dictionaries and even a thesaurus. One dictionary may have worked, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to use the word hope three times.



Finally, I realized that I could use a Bible! I looked in the Concordance and found the perfect placement. Then, I copied the page (so I wouldn't cut up the Word) and used that for the charm.


















BE...ADS


As I was looking through my Bible for the word hope, I started thinking about a set of jewelry I designed a few years ago. I made quite a few necklaces, with bracelets and earrings to match.

I called them "BE...ADS", beads with an attitude of prayer and the word.
Most of them were an illustration of the Beatitudes in Matthew Chapter 5. I remember thinking about Proverbs 6: 21, keeping the teachings of your mother and father:  "Bind them continually on your heart; Tie them around your neck."

What better way to keep reminded of a particular word, attitude, or verse than to bind it around your neck?

I ended up selling or giving away most of what I made. Even when I got down to the last of them, if someone asked for one, I couldn't say no. For some of them, I was not able to reproduce what I made because the beads were from a limited selection.

I kept some of my favorites, and I wear them to this day. Here they are (what's left)...


The Be....Attitudes:





































Poor in Spirit

This one was macrame, a small pouch made of cotton cord. Inside I placed two pennies, symbolic of the widow's mite. She gave all she had. A reminder to me that it matters not what I have, but if I am willing to give my all.


Hunger and Thirst

This one is copper wire wrapped around blue glass beads. They are reminders of the thirsty times;  the times when you feel "dry" and empty, but then you get filled. I made spiral connectors to symbolize the times of hunger. These are seasons when we are stretched past what we think we can handle.

Sometimes I clean the copper, but I like the aged look best.

Mercy

Blessed are the Merciful. How could mercy have been shown more than by His shed blood?
This one is actually not a gold chain, but braided gold thread. Three strands to represent Father, Son, and Spirit. I often need a reminder to show mercy.

Pure Heart

Ah...my favorite. Blessed are the pure in heart. This one is so simple, just a glass heart and a light pink seed beads. To me, a pure heart isn't one that is perfect, or without flaw, but transparent. Am I willing to be honest, open? Am I willing to allow God and others see the real me? I want to see the REAL GOD. And I want Him to see me. No hiding.

Persecuted


I read somewhere that copper is often symbolic of persecution. The pearl, in the Bible, represents the Church. Wearing a bracelet like this one helps me remember to pray for those who are being persecuted for His namesake.


That's all I have left. Those who mourn, The humble, The peacemakers will have to be redesigned one day I suppose. I have a couple of other "Be...ads" jewelry based on other thoughts and scriptures. I'll share them another time.






I've shared this post at here:

A Bouquet of Talent #19
Inspire me Monday #55
Clever Chicks Blog Hop
You're Gonna Love It Tuesday
Wow Us Wednesday (Family Home and Life)

14 comments:

  1. Hello
    beautiful crafting ideas new follower
    from the Sundays hop you can visit me at www.no1food.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy to say that I still the mercy necklace to remind me. I just put it on. And I have the widow's mite; but mine is smaller than pennies; but I still love it. I put it on too. And the one that holds the oil.
    <3 Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've wondered if you still had mercy (no pun intended lol)
      Do you have all 3 on at once? Only you could pull that off!
      A yes...I remember the little crochet bottle holders. I still have one somewhere, I think

      Delete
  3. Hmmm. Yes. I understand why you wouldn't want "beer" making its way in there. I think it turned out lovely and what a great reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if had said WINE...I may have been tempted lol!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Melanie, that means a lot. I love your blog ;)

      Delete
  5. Very creative, love the heart. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!



    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I love the variety on your blog hop!

      Delete
  6. Awesome! I ,ove wearing jewelry that has meaning behind it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I don't wear jewelry very much, so when I do, I make it count!

      Delete
  7. So beautiful! You did a great job. I love it. Thanks so much for the inspiration and for sharing at A Bouquet of Talent this week!!

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy! Love your party ;)

      Delete