Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Doodling IN the New Year

For the first time in 21 years, my husband and I spent our New Year's Eve without our girls. No, we didn't go to a party, they did. All three of them had great plans and we blessed them and sent them on their way. We spent a quiet evening alone, and I loved every minute of it. I figured we'd fall asleep before midnight, one of us at least. The other would need to be on "coming home" duty. You know, that's when you pretend that you are staying awake until your teenager gets home but really you are sleeping on the couch.

I was on duty, hubby fell asleep. I read and I doodled. I love to doodle. I haven't had much time for it lately, but my fingers and my mind were itching to get back to it. It not only relaxes me, but it gives me down-time to think and to reflect. I'm sharing my New Year Doodle with you because my doodling process often becomes more than just a doodle. Sometimes, it is just mindless, artful fun. Sometimes it takes on meaning. That's what happened last night.

I didn't intend to blog about this doodle, so I didn't take any photos in the beginning. Somewhere halfway through, I knew I'd share it.....


I started out making several swirls, adding dashes, lines, circles and dots. Just filling the page. I like to use more than one size pen. I use Zig and Micron Pens, usually 03, 05, and sometimes 005 for really fine work. You can see the difference in the pen sizes here.


About halfway done
I kept going, but I was getting sleepy....

Another view

I try to add different types of lines, squiggles, and shapes throughout the page. I don't plan, I just keep going.




I finally fell asleep. The doodle would have to wait to be finished. I wasn't sure what it was, but something was missing.




I woke up very early this morning (New Year's Day) with two songs in my head. They kept "playing" over and over as if they were one song. I had already had some coffee, and I spent a little time reading Psalm 133. Not sure why I read that passage, except that's what I felt like I was supposed to read. (You can look it up if you'd like.)

I decided to doodle for awhile again, because everything was quiet and I wanted to "finish" the doodle. 

The songs kept playing in my head...until....I GOT IT! 

I began to incorporate the lyrics into the doodle. That's when the meaning came, that's when the doodle became an expression of my heart and a prayerful intention.

Adding song lyrics to the doodle. At first, I put large black circles in the doodle as a filler. But I didn't like the way they looked so alone. So I connected them to the swirls.

The songs had absolutely no connection with one another. In fact, they were worlds apart.
The first was: 

"So this is love,
So this is love,
So this....is love"

Can you guess where it comes from? The Cinderella movie, Disney (the classic cartoon).

The second song is an old-time song I remember singing "in rounds" at church:

"Behold what manner of love the Father has given unto us, Behold what manner of love the Father has given unto us. That...we...should be called the sons of God. That....we....should be called the sons of God."

It wasn't until I was almost finished that it hit me! Psalm 133 is about UNITY. Brothers living together in unity. So, this is love. He has given us HIS love, that we dwell together in unity, that we may be called the sons of God.



Visually, I think I like it best without the words. But the words gave it life, gave it meaning. 

And that's how I brought in The New Year. Doodling with a purpose.  A purpose to love, to strive to live together in unity. It is the first HOPE of my new year.

A couple of notes: The black circles that were randomly placed around the page....I have been one of those little blobs at many times in my life. That is, until someone reached out to me, with love, and reconnected me to the bigger picture.

And something funny: I MISSPELLED manner! Do you see it? haha The word Manor is a part of my street name. I suppose I was more accustomed to writing manor, not manner....oops!




I've shared this post on:
Family Home and Life-Wow Us Wednesday
Rainbows and Honeysuckle - Craft Yourself Crazy
Fun in Functional Linky Party #31
Wednesday Whatsits #41 White Lights on Wednesdays
Freedom Fridays #35


35 comments:

  1. I love this. That's what we should all strive for in 2013 ... loving one another. That's the big picture. The lack of love between folks is one of reasons people reject Christianity ... we preach it, but don't show it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! God speaks in mysterious ways. He's so creative. I love that he speaks to us in ways that aren't "traditional". <3 Cynthia.
    Grace and Truth...those words keeps coming to my mind; and I believe this is a picture of that. And I really like the words visually. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most definitely not always traditional. But...if we listen, He does speak!

      Delete
  3. oh; and manor is your home and I think maybe that love and unity starts in the home. Cyn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. never thought of that! Thanks for the save :)

      Delete
  4. Wow, that could be turned into wallpaper it's so beautiful!! happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! happy New year to you also!

      Delete
  5. It is gorgeous. I have my doodle book sitting right by my chair but it has been neglected for a while. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crack it open and give it a go! I'd love to see some of your doodles :)

      Delete
  6. I LOVE this! I love the doodle, and I love the meaning behind it! New follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Bethany! And thanks for following :) I'm sure we'll be "seeing" more of each other in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's beautiful! Love the addition of the lyrics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. I'm glad it all came together :)

      Delete
  10. The words you've added really make the piece! You should try doodling onto dishtowels--- I am going to transfer some of my grand kids art work onto some muslin towels for their mother... :-) its going to be so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh wow, that sounds like a good idea. Do you have a tutorial or experience with transferring to dishtowels?

      Delete
  11. How neat! Thanks so much for linking up to the Craft Yourself Crazy link party! I love doodling, too, definitely a fun way to pass the time!!

    Chloe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to link up. Hope it is a great success for you ;)

      Delete
  12. what a wonderful doodle and reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi. It is a reminder to me also.

      Delete
  13. Hello dear happy new year, i am a new your FOLLOWER!I love your blog.. Do you want to follow me ? I WAITING U IN MY BLOG KISSESSSS <3 <3


    http://thefashionvictimbyantonellabasile.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! This looks fantastic and I love that you added the words :) I'm following too. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, looking forward to getting to know you :)

      Delete
  15. Please share your projects at www.creativecraftsthursday.blogspot.com each and every week and check out what other creative divas are up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may check it out later in the year. I'm a little swamped with the link parties I've already joined. Thanks for dropping by

      Delete
  16. Yes, I really love this and with the words, too. Wow. I love doodling also but yours is really, really pretty. Happy New Year. Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like all my doodles, Linda, but every once in awhile I "hit" on something and this one was one of those times. I've been using a doodle journal, trying to keep them all in one place. Great idea for inspiration and reminders for me when I get stumped and don't know what design to add next. Just a tip I thought I'd share. :)

      Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  17. My, what beautiful doodlings you have!
    Congratulations - you are one of my features at our Anniversary Edition of Inspire Me Monday at

    Create With Joy
    http://create-with-joy.com

    I hope you'll continue to doodle and share your creative talents with us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool doodles! I doodle every once in a while (but not that often unfortunately). I think I will start a doodlebook for 2013. :O)

    Saw the link to your blog on the "Inspire Me Monday" hop at Create With Joy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a great idea, LuAnn. You should do it. I use a hard back sketchbook for my doodles. I picked it up from a yard sale. Thanks for dropping by!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful doodle - You've inspired me to try a "doodle" egg! Joining from Inspire Me Monday link - http://allthoseartsygirls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete