Thursday, January 17, 2013

Doodles and Links

Would you like to learn doodle, but don't know where to begin?
Do you doodle, but need inspiration?

I didn't know how to start doodling until I found a few very helpful tutorials and dove right in.

I found a few places that offered tutorials. I pinned some and I bookmarked a few others. I'll share some of my favorites in this post. You can also check my pinterest board (here).

This was the very first day I ever "officially" doodled:

My First Doodles


I used craft paper, a clip board, and a pencil. Then, I went over it with a sharpie. After that, markers. I loved it, but it took me forever.  I was too worried about it being perfect.

At some point, I found Joanne Fink's tutorials (Zenspirations) on Sukura's website. and started using their Micron Pens. I bought a 5 pack set so that I could have variety, because there are many sizes available.
I love them. (You will find doodle tutorials in pdf form and videos at the above  link.)

I used my clipboard and craft paper for a several weeks. Really, it was mostly for practice. I'd learn a new design, or create one, and "record" it on my clipboard as a reference. If I wanted to add some doodles to my art journals, I'd refer to my clipboard for ideas. (My memory isn't that great). At that point, my doodles still didn't flow. They were very practiced.

One day, I found an almost new sketchbook at a yard sale. It was only 50 cents!

I bought it, knowing what I was going to do with it.
It was going to be my new Doodle Book.
Time to get rid of the clipboard.
It was also time for me to relax and just have fun doodling. Since I only paid .50 for the book, I wasn't concerned about wasting paper, or messing up.

Amazing what that little change in mindset did for my doodle time!

I found a blue Micron on clearance and a pack of similar pens (Zig) at another yard sale (cheap), so I wasn't concerned about using up my pens too quickly. I was free to doodle!

My Suggestions, Doodles, and Links


I created a Title Page.



Using a border first helps break up the page so it doesn't look so BIG and BLANK. Try it. It helps. Then, add words. After that, you can fill however you want.

I'll show you more of my pages, to give you other ideas about where to start, when you don't know what to doodle.

Break up the page into smaller sections.



Then, you can work in each section however you wish. These were actually some ideas I wanted to try before I used them on different art journal pages. (I still have some perfectionist issues with doodling.)

I found a technique called Repeat Pattern Stacks on The Rainbow Elephant. You've got to check out her blog and tutorials. Awesome stuff. This was the point where I started feeling more confident.




I broke the page up again and put a freestyle frame around it. That's another idea you can try.

Or you can fill the whole page.



 I used some of my favorite designs on the heart page. A lot of them you can find on Tangle Patterns. They offer step-by-step doodle instructions. Great stuff. You'll want to break up your page into small sections for them, I'm sure.

I like to play with flowers, also.



Alisa Burke doodles beautiful flowers! She also has tutorials and on-line classes (not just for doodles). I love her work!

This last page isn't finished. I'll get back to it one day. That's another reason I like having a book just for my doodles. I don't have to finish a doodle until I'm ready.



I have other doodles in my book, some are done, some I need to get back to, one of them you can find by clicking here.

Happy Doodling!

I've shared this post on:

Happy Hour Friday
Keep Calm and Link Up
BFF Open House
Freedom Friday #37
Shine On Fridays
Inspiration Spotlight 
Inspire Me Monday Week #55
All Star Block Party

23 comments:

  1. Love the heart page.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are fantastic. I am in love w/ that heart! I have not picked up my doodle book lately. Need to get back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I thought doodling was just for page margins. WOW! I'm in love with it!!! Now I want to start doodling. I've started following you via pinterest and Facebook. Thank you for your comment on my blog. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your jewelry, Bethany, thanks for stopping by. See you on facebook! (liked you back ;)

      Delete
  4. Awesome! I've done some random doodling in my art journal. Haven't in a while, though. Perhaps it is time to pick up the pen and doodle again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it so relaxing. I hope you share some of your doodles soon!

      Delete
  5. You have just opened my eyes to a whole new world of craft, thank you! I have followed you on Pinterest and will definitely be having a go at this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! Happy Doodling!

      Delete
  6. Just wanted to let you know I'm featuring your doodles as part of my link party wrap up tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the doodles! Joining from Inspire Me Monday - http://allthoseartsygirls.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zentangles can become obsessive!i love creating them as well. haven't gone as far as creating a book - but love yours! especially the heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverley. You are right, they can become obsessive. lol

      Delete
  9. This is not what my doodles look like:( I love these!!

    Have an awesome day, My Friend!

    http://www.myturnforus.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister told me that she used to doodle but read somewhere that doodling was for people who are not smart. WHAT! Humph. I'm proving them WRONG! one doodle at a time.....(i hope) lol

      Delete
  10. Love your doodles! I have been teaching myself to knit, but this makes me want to pull out the sketchbook. Thanks for linking up @ Inspiration Spotlight! I hope to see you again this week. Theresa @ DearCreatives.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa. Knitting is one of the few things I have not tried yet. It scares me lol

      Delete
  11. Wow, you've made some really impressive doodles! Love doodling :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bella! I hopped over to your blog. Love it, I've added it to my blog list and now following you on facebook. I am involved in a homeschool co-op group and I often work with children doing arts and crafts. I'm going to enjoy your future posts I'm sure :)

      Delete