Saturday, January 26, 2013

Craft Area Organizing Ideas

About a year ago, I realized that I really needed a craft area. My dining room table was always covered in paper and projects, half of my craft supplies were stashed under a small table, and the other half was in a hall closet.

     


I rearranged somethings and emptied a corner of our "computer room". In that room, we have a large desk,our main computer, a bookcase, and a futon. It is a quiet room away from the T.V. Perfect for a "craft corner".


That was an absolute pathetic excuse for a craft corner, I admit. I knew I was NOT going to feel very inspired to create anything here. I needed some craft organizing ideas. So I pinned, and I pinned, and I pinned and I came up with this:


My Craft Corner After and Before



I loved every inch of it. Every inch of it was within easy reach. Every inch of it was organized. Every inch of it was upcycled using things I already had, or I snagged from a couple of friends who were getting rid of things. My Inspiration Wheel was rescued from a friend's trash pile. The bookcase was in another friend's garage waiting to be donated to someone.

I used a pack of scrapbook paper I found at Hobby Lobby, paint from the garage or craft paint, an old Alice in Wonderland book, and lots of boxes. I was also inspired by one of the the most BEAUTIFUL Craft and sewing rooms EVER. See it HERE!

If you look between the desk and the plastic drawers, you can see a folded personal table. That is the only item I bought. I usually keep it open for extra space, but when we need the room, it is nice to be able to put it away. 

The photo above shows what my craft room looked like AFTER I finished it. Now, a year later, I'll show you what it looked like BEFORE I addressed some "problem" areas.


This was taken two weeks ago. This is pretty typical of how it stays, or how it stayed. I really didn't mind the mess on the table or desk. That's why I wanted a craft corner, so I could leave things out.

What was bothering me was the fact that I had OUTGROWN the space. I have accumulated some extra stuff and I still had some things stored in the dining room. I needed some more space, and I needed to get rid of another eye sore.


The keyboard was all jammed up into my space, and I hated all those cords showing. Plus, the boxes that "grew" on top of the shelves DID NOT MATCH.

I rearranged, moved a small cabinet in from the dining room, and moved some things around. This is what it looks like now:


First of all, do you see my Inchies?  

The stamps I so generously received a few weeks ago were in boxes that matched perfectly, so I put labels on them and left them out. I stashed the other boxes into the small cabinet. I also have my jewelry tool box and my daughter's craft supplies and school books in that cabinet. In the larger one are my paper stash books and some misc items.


Now here's the fun stuff...

Thrifty Nifty Organizing Ideas For Your Craft Supplies


Let's start with the large black cabinet.


Top: Clementine Boxes, covered with scrapbook paper and labeled.
Bottom Left: Paper trays I painted black. Coffee can covered with book pages.
Bottom Right: A large can covered with book pages and a shoe box to hold ribbon.

I had several large binders, some were black, some white. I covered them with scrapbook paper.


Inside, are sheet protectors. One binder is for words and letters.I try to keep them separated by color or style. 

Stickers and Embellishments are in another binder and separated by category. 

Middle: Embellishments are in baggies but I took the "flowers" out for the photo.
Right: The baggies are in page protectors. Christmas in one, bugs, butterflies in another.  I have a page protector for people, places, animals, etc.


A blue, plastic file box was painted black and covered with book pages. It holds tags, small paper packs, unique smaller paper, etc.



Coffee cans, painted black, covered with book pages.


My weird box. A wine crate, painted.


My slogan. Yes...I did buy that. $4 on clearance, Hobby Lobby. I had to have it!

A discarded TV stand holds a citrus crate (vertically) to create the illusion of a tall, narrow shelf unit. 



I painted the drawers with black spray paint for plastic. Scrapbook paper is taped on the inside front. A label is on the outside.



For domestic use only, these boxes make great file folders! I added pipe brackets (idea from the above link) as handles. Inside, I have manila folders holding card stock scraps, scrapbook paper scraps, stencils, etc.
It is not exactly organized inside, but I don't really care about that.


At a yard sale, I found a handmade casserole carrier. It has pegs and holes in the wood to be adjustable for any size casserole dish. I don't use if for that. It holds string and cord and sits on top of the citrus crate.


The craft table is an old desk. I used Mod Podge to cover it with the book pages. 



I cut butterflies from the scrapbook paper and place them on the desk with the pages. I also put butterflies on the wall. Wax paper keeps it protected while I work in art journals.


Crystal Light containers hold markers and pens. Someone gave me a grocery bag full of empty containers!


Scored these IKEA jars at a yard sale, $2 for all!


Two plastic drawer units that I had been using for my craft supplies got painted and spruced up.


More Crystal Light containers hold misc craft items, leftover ribbon scraps, embellishments, all sorts of stuff.

My favorite thing from my craft corner is my Inspiration wheel. It started out empty, but is now full of quotes, notes from family and friends and a few ideas I have brewing...


This was a long post, I know, but I hope it inspired you or gave you some ideas. Organizing can be fun, inexpensive and creative. Just look around and use what you've got.



I've shared this post at these great parties:



23 comments:

  1. Hi Rox, thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I love your craft room. The color palette is beautiful and I like that so many things are re-purposed. I will be back by to check out the rest of your blog in a bit. If you have time to stop by mine again there is a tab at the top that links to pictures of my studio (I like organizing too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it and I love it! I pinned it to my Dreamroom Board. Looking foreward to your future posts!

      Delete
  2. wow! great job! I'm jealous of your creative space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, and don't be jealous, create your own! :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and for the follow! I am in love with your space...:) I MUST have an inspiration wheel! Now....I only need to find a space for it....I might have to hang it from the ceiling! LOL! Awesome score on the IKEA jars and the Crystal Light containers are great....too bad I don;t drink it! I'll be visiting again...:)

    Vicky
    Life On Willie Mae Lane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I don't drink it either. I scored when a friend gave me an entire cloth grocery bag full! She had been saving them for a wedding centerpiece idea, but the plans were changed. I've seen lots of things done with bike wheels. I'll bet hanging it from the ceiling would prob work! lol

      Delete
  4. I am pinning this for inspiration when after I go back and read this post again. I am so glad to see a way to organize a huge stash in a small space. I love your color choices. Clever and creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to pinterest, I found Lots of tricks and ideas ;)
      Good luck and thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  5. What a great new area you have....I can't wait to see all your new creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, I'll be able to create again soon. Reworking the area kept me busy for a couple of weeks!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks, I scored on the wheel. My friend couldn't understand why I was so happy to see an old bike tire in her trash pile. :)

      Delete
  7. This is really cool! Love your warm color scheme! Found you via DIY Showoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by Katie. It took me awhile to figure out what color would be versatile enough to match the room and still be able to move to another corner if I ever needed to move. Craft paper works well anywhere, I love it. :)

      Delete
  8. How awesome to have your own craft room, and you did a fabulous job!! I love all of your storage ideas. So creative. Thank you so much for sharing with us at A Bouquet of Talent this week. Have a wonderful week. :)

    Hugs
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many great ideas here - Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day,I want a detailed tour of your great space. I've never been able to really stop and "snoop" lol :)

      Delete
  10. Looks great Rox! Glad to see that the space you originally created didn't end up working out too well but that you expanded your storage space and fixed your problem areas. Thanks for keeping it real :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's just hope I can keep myself confined to the newly expanded area! lol

      Delete