Saturday, December 8, 2012

Snowman Appetizer

A few days ago, I saw a cheese ball shaped into a snowman on Betty Crocker. I was looking for an appetizer idea for a Christmas party. When I saw it, I knew immediately that I would make it except I wanted to make mine using a recipe I have for a Chicken Roll.

I was a little concerned when I first started making him.  He was a little short and stumpy. My daughters got in on the act and helped me out.


He needs decorations.

We're getting there...

He is cute! But is is missing something.

TaDa! He is all ready now!

If you'd like to make your own cheese ball snowman, or see how they decorated their's, click here.

Instead of cheese balls, I always use my Chicken Roll recipe for an easy cracker spread. It is different, and quite tasty. Here's the recipe:

Chicken Roll

1 can chunky chicken (I never use canned, I use 1 cup cooked, chopped chicken)
1 small cream cheese, softened (3 ounces)
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 tablespoon chopped chives
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, browned

Mix ingredients together except sesame seeds. Roll to form a log or ball. Brown sesame seeds in oven for 15 minutes at 350 degrees. Roll chicken in sesame seeds, chill. serve with crackers.

For the snowman, I doubled the recipe and omitted the sesame seeds. After mixing and shaping, I put him in the refrigerator for about an hour. Then I used whipped cream cheese (as per Betty Crocker's recipe) as the outer layer of the snowman. I did one ball at a time, instead of trying to do them together.

We used black olives, a radish, a piece of carrot, celery, chives, and lettuce for his decorations.

Hope you try your own Snowman Appetizer!


Heirloom Recipe Collection Party

6 comments:

  1. OMG. He is SOOO cute! I love it! Thanks for linking up to the holiday heirloom recipe party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've been using the chicken roll recipe for almost 30 years! It is always a great hit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make me one pleaseeeee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you really need a snowman, or do you just want a chicken ball? :)

      Delete