Friday, December 21, 2012

Rich and Creamy Potato Soup

Yesterday was a rainy, dreary day. I hate getting wet, the only thing worse is getting wet and being cold. This is me on a rainy day. It never fails.

A page from one of my art journals

Being wet and cold at night is almost unbearable.  By the time I got home yesterday evening and was ready to cook dinner, all of the above applied. Add two extra teenagers hanging out at our house and I knew exactly what I'd cook for dinner. Potato Soup and biscuits. Easy and hot, feeds a crowd without a lot of work. I got this recipe many (many) years ago from a friend in our church fellowship group. It was a big hit and I've made it too many times to count over the last few years.

Rich and Creamy Potato Soup

 

1/2 stick of butter
1-2 onions, chopped
8-10 potatoes, peeled and cut up into large chunks
6-8 bullion cubes, chicken (or six cups chicken broth)
1 small whipping cream, or can of evaporated milk 
Water

Melt butter in the pot and add lots of chopped onion.Saute, and add potatoes. Add enough water to cover the potatoes, a little more than covering them. Add bullion cubes. (Note, you can skip water and cubes if you are adding broth. Add enough broth to more than cover potatoes.) Boil slowly. When potatoes are soft, mash slightly. Add whipping cream or evap. milk and TURN HEAT OFF.

Rich and Creamy Potato Soup


Add some homemade biscuits and you have a delicious, easy no-meat meal. Now, I have to admit, I have not looked at this recipe for a long time. I usually make it from memory. You must know, that I FORGOT it had onions in it! I don't think I've added onions to it for....I don't know, 6-7 years! It is still good. Sometimes, when I am in a hurry and I don't have cream, I use regular milk. It isn't as rich, but we still like it.
Hope you enjoy!

I've shared this post on:

The Answer is Chocolate BFF Open House Link Party #84
Freedom Fridays #33 (My Turn-For Us)


2 comments: