Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Monogram Door Hanging and Christmas Projects Links

Here's another project I did last week, using what I had around the house:


Monogram Door Hanging

I had to hang our wreath next to the front door on the brick because it was so big. I really liked the wreath there, but I wanted something on the door also. I had seen ideas for monogram door hangings all over pinterest. I wasn't about to break my Christmas Challenge and go buy a papier-mâché  or wooden "W", so I set out to make my own.

I used:

A Large Cardboard Box
An Exacto knife
Glue
Yarn
Spray Paint
Spray Adhesive
Epsom Salt (I love that stuff!)

I drew out a large "W" on an old used poster left over from a homeschool co-op class. I traced it onto a large piece of cardboard I had cut out from the side of a box. I actually cut two of them, with an Exacto knife. I glued both pieces together, so they would be thick. Then, I used some white yarn and wrapped it all around the cardboard.

I didn't like how bare it looked, so I used ivory spray paint to soften it up a bit. It still needed something. In keeping with my winter theme, I decided it needed snow. AKA Epsom salt at my house this year. I used spray adhesive and sprinkled on the salt. I only did the front side. Then, I added pine cones, shredded fluff (the kind you can use in gift baskets) and a ribbon.  

Here some close-ups and another view so you can see the texture:







And there you have it, my monogram door hanging. We are hosting two Christmas parties this year. Very unusual for us. I am so glad I decided to go all out and put some winter/festive Christmas cheer around the house. Now, it feels like Christmas.

Over the last few days, I posted a few photos here and on facebook that included some of the Christmas paper crafts I did last year. I didn't post any specifics about how I made them, but some people have asked. So here's a quick photo and the links for the tutorials I followed:

Paper Star Tree Topper:  Pretty and Cozy
Music Sheet Paper Trees:  boutiqueit
Paper Roses Wreath: I'm a Yarner

Be sure to stop by a visit their blogs if you'd like to make your own!

I've shared this post on:

White Lights on Wednesday  Whatsits-37
Artsy-Fartsy Mama Link Party #10
Claiming Our Space

Be sure to visit them and see a lot of other great posts!

Winter Wonders & Holiday Happenings

11 comments:

  1. That is so pretty. Cyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful Roxana! I can't get over the fact that you used Epsom Salt! We've got to do some craft classes soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And yes...we've got to do something soon! Rox

      Delete
  3. Hi Rox: I don't think I was awake yet when I left my comment. lol. Your door hanging is awesome!! Love it! Thanks so much for following. I'm happy to return the follow.
    Tuula :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to "meet" you! You have great ideas and projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty! I love the sparkly salt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the monogram. The "snow" is a great touch! Thanks so much for linking up to the Winter Wonders & Holiday Happenings party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been enjoying visiting all the other links. Thanks for hosting

      Delete
  7. SO cute! I love the snowy look! And I love the way you made it from cardboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always looking for cheap or free alternatives. :)

      Delete