Monday, December 10, 2012

Guest Room Office - It's Done!

It only took me almost 5 months, but it is done!

"Office" Side

Guest Room Side

When my oldest daughter moved out, this is what the room looked like:




I knew what I wanted to use the new "spare" room for, but I had no idea how to pull it together. This is what I had to work with in addition to the photo above:


A yellow chair, an old file cabinet, a pink table, plus a fold-down table and a twin bed with a trundle


The floor lamp and the fabric headboard were my inspiration. I wanted to go with black and ivory.  Plus, I somehow started finding french-inspired items. 


French Theme: side table, wall hanging, faux book box
This room had pull down shades. They were ugly, and WHITE. They didn't match the other colors. I was too lazy to recover them, too cheap to buy anything new. So I got creative. I used a large piece of lace as a stencil, and spray painted ivory over the white. I used Aileen's Tack it Over on the lace to be sure that it would stay in place once I started painting. I've had a bottle of it for 20 years! And I STILL have some left!


Now, they match!
The guest room side was easy. The twin bed has a trundle, so even though the room is small, we can make it work for guests when needed. The majority of the time, I will be using the room to organize our "Life Files" and photographs. That's where the table and file cabinet come in.


Vintage family photos, old letters, newspaper clippings
I wanted a work space that would be portable and lightweight. I painted the top of the fold-down table and decoupaged it with old family photos and copies of letters and newspaper clippings.

I bought a mirror to hang on the back of the door. I didn't notice it when I bought it, and even then not until AFTER we put it up. It was so cheap, it looked more like a fun house mirror when you looked into it! I didn't want to throw it away, but it was useless. Until I revamped it, anyway.

Mirror revamped into a shelf!
We cut 4 pieces of 2 x 4 and glued them to the bottom of the mirror. I covered the glass with scrapbook paper. This gave me room above and below the shelf to store photos and to work. The best part is that I didn't adhere the shelf unit to the table. I can remove it easily if I need more room for ....sewing. (YUCK!)

I don't like to sew, but I needed a sewing corner. This corner may never be finished. Imagine it with long shutters in the corner and a small stool..... (cute, huh?) But not a high priority.


Rarely Used Sewing Corner
In a previous post, I gave a tutorial on how I made the No-Sew Sewing Machine Cover.

My favorite part of the room is my file cabinet.
I rescued an old file cabinet from the garage. I sanded it and painted it ivory. But it was still ugly. I used the same lace technique as the window shades, and painted the drawers. Then, I distressed it a little.


Close-up of the lace pattern

A-Z and One, Two, Three
I plan to use the top drawer for general household filing. The bottom drawers are each assigned to my girls: One, Two, and Three. From the beginning of their lives until the present, I want to file all important papers, school records, memories, etc. Each of them will have access to their life records, in chronological order. BIG task! It will take me all year or more. That's why I needed an "office". I want to be able to shut the door if I make a mess and can't get back to it for a few days.

Here's what I have to work with:

21 years of photos, homeschool records, and files

And that's not all of it. I'll be here for awhile. At least I'll be working in a pretty space!

10 comments:

  1. What a great idea to use a room that is only used occasionally for an office as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but now the fun part is over and I have to "work"! lol

      Delete
  2. that is awesome! I love the lamp and the milk pitchers on the French table. I love the French table too and the file cabinet. I didn't realize until now that you painted the lace on instead of gluing some lace to the front. and of course I love the shades. I bought some spray paint to do mine; but haven't done it yet. I need to get some of that glue to hold it down. Did you put it on the whole shade to hold it down until you painted it? OH, and what did you end up covering the chair with; or did I ask you that before? <3 Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I covered the chair with a fabric that looked like burlap, but is softer. I spread the Tack-it-Over onto the lace, not the shade. It made the lace have a sticky back. Was able to use it for all the drawers and both shades and it still has a little "tacky" left. Good stuff!

      Delete
  3. Looking super smart!
    I love the lace effect.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I kept the used lace for future projects. It makes a great stencil!

      Delete
  4. Love this room, it turned out great! Thanks for stopping by my place,your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Did you get my email or see it on the site about winning the prize? I was also curious if Mae got a hold of you? Please let me know when you can. I want to make sure you get your hair clip. Oh, I love your room re-do! & am now following you too btw. Theresa @ DearCreatives.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the room!! It's beautiful!

    Thanks so much for linking up at Artsy Corner, you were featured today! Hope to see you again this week :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I love your blog, btw. :)

      Delete