Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Tuesday 411 on Cleaning: Toasters, Irons, and Pinterest

A few weeks ago, I created a board on Pinterest: "To Clean or Not Too Clean". I used to keep all cleaning pins under my For the Home board, but I decided I wanted to concentrate on which pins really worked for cleaning and which didn't. It seemed easier to manage if they were all in one place.

Now.... I have an IDEA!  What if I made it a group board? Would you like to know if a particular cleaning method works, or doesn't work? Have you found something that DOES work? If you have a Pinterest account, I invite you to join me in sharing cleaning pins with reviews. In as much as possible, I will try the methods, products  or suggestions on the group board and follow up with a blog post. Or, YOU can write a review and I'll be happy to post it as a guest post. OR...you can tell me about it and I'll write it up. Of course, comments on Pinterest are great also. If you'd like to be a contributor, leave me a comment or message me at fourelevenrox at gmail (dot) com. It may take me some time to get to all of the pins, so this will be a long term project. Some pins I won't be able to try. For example, cleaning a gas stove?  I don't HAVE a gas stove. See what I mean?

Here's a link to my cleaning board if you want to check it out:  To Clean or Not Too Clean

Today, I am going to review 2 methods of cleaning. These are from more than one pin.

Toasters and Irons 

I've used a (#1) in the description of two pins. (pinterest) Cleaning a toaster and/or a toaster oven with Cream of Tarter. Sorry...this did NOT work. The stuff is too expensive to waste on cleaning anyway. It did nothing for my baking pans either, I tried it.

(#2) on the list I've tried before. It worked partially. Actually, there are several #2's on the board. I tried them all.  What worked best was the baking soda/vinegar solution.  I cleaned my toaster oven a few weeks ago, so it doesn't look bad. I started using aluminum foil on the bottom so that helped a lot. It is just time to give it a quick treatment before it gets out of hand.  The glass was a MESS a few weeks ago. I want to clean it before it gets that way again.

I say the solution only worked partially because the real mess is the TRAY. I could not get it clean. 

Stains won't come out.

I tried the pin suggesting HOT water, dish soap, and vinegar. I figured the hot water was the trick, because it didn't work when I tried it before. I heated some of the water in the microwave and I heated the vinegar also. I let it set until it cooled. NOTHING. I didn't want to waste the solution  and I was determined, so I got smart. I filled the tray up and PUT IT IN THE TOASTER OVEN! I blasted that baby on 400 degrees until steam started coming out of the door. I turned it off and waited just a little while. Using a pot holder and rubber gloves, I transferred the tray back to the sink and got out a steel wool pad. I scrubbed and scrubbed but nothing was really happening. After awhile, I got aggravated and started arguing with the thing. Come ON! This is riduculous! And then....some of the gunk started coming off!. I scrubbed, and scrubbed, and scrubbed. Eh...not perfect, but it did get most of it.


Not too bad

What it did leave is a yucky mess all over my sink and gloves. Dishwasher detergent wouldn't get it off. I had to pour vinegar all over my hands and scrub down the sink with vinegar, too. My conclusion: Next time I'm skipping the tray and recovering with foil. If your is dirty, try this. Don't shoot for perfection, just get the gunk off and COVER it.



Next, I needed to clean my iron. Hem tape had gotten all over it. I was afraid to iron anything white. I found one pin with 2 suggestions and a 3rd pin from another blog. Here's what happened:

Salt on white paper, iron on low

All it did was turn the salt darker. Did I just burn salt?

A dryer sheet, iron while hot. Oh, some stuff came off alright. Right onto my ironing board cover!
And the iron is still dirty.

Ta-Da! Mr Clean wins again. A Magic Eraser!



Now I need a new ironing board cover. Here's a test; I wonder if any of my daughters actually read my blog. Who drew my name? I can't remember! I want one of those pretty covers like at TJ Maxx or Marshall's. 

(That was subtle, wasn't it?)

Back to the pinning board. If you'd like to be able to add pins to the board, let me know. As long as we are following at least one of each other's boards, I should be able to add you.

Happy Cleaning AND Pinning!







2 comments:

  1. Maybe they sell new toaster oven trays separately. :-) Cymp (for the price of new gloves. Ha)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if they sell the trays anywhere. Foil is cheaper than gloves or a tray I'm sure! :)

    ReplyDelete