Monday, October 15, 2012

A Box of Goodies

As part of the Between Friends Art Journal  project, we decided to have a gift exchange at our meet-up.  Each of us was to contribute a handmade gift with a value of $10-25.  I am not sure what my gift would have been worth, but I sure did enjoy making it!

I had a wooden box from a Davidson's Tea gift set.

I had a few ideas about how I wanted to paint it, and some possible embellishments, but I am a very visual person.  I was not going to be able to decide until I had the basic painting done.  So I painted it black and gathered up some supplies.



I loved the postal themed scrapbook paper I had picked up from Hobby Lobby. I knew I would use it on the box. I distressed the edges of the box, trimmed the paper to cover all of the sides, and then inked the edges of the paper. After covering the box (I used gel medium to adhere it) I had the hardest time deciding how to decorate it.  I knew what would be going inside of the box and hoped to link the contents with the outside.

Idea #1
I also loved that the postal themed paper reflected the Art Journal project since we mailed the journals to each other all summer long.  I tried to use embellishments that would also symbolize the project, but it didn't feel right.  So I tried this:


Idea # 2
I like this a lot, but it still wasn't "it." I put everything aside and chose some different items. Finally, it felt right.  This is how it turned out:

Re-purposed Tea Box


I kept the postal theme by using a cancelled stamp.  The metal tag connects the contents. "possibility begins with imagination". What did I put inside?  

Goodies!


I filled it with all sorts of paper embellishments, ephemera, left over items from my art journaling pages, and a lot of other items to use in mixed media collage or art journals!  I loved the finished box. 

Now that it is done, and was given away, I am glad I took a photo of my other ideas.  I am considering making more altered tea boxes or other types of boxes, maybe to sell or as gifts. Each box would be unique including the contents  What do you think?  Would you be interested in buying one? Leave a comment.  I'd love some feedback, thanks!


Thanks for visiting!

I shared this post here:

Serendipity and Spice Manic Monday Linky Party #35
Shine On Fridays #60
Eclectic Paperie

Drop by for a visit and see lots of other great ideas!






8 comments:

  1. Lovely creation and what an amazing gift idea! Thanks so much for playing along with the eclectic Paperie eTeam Picks challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I'm wasn't sure if it was OK to share a link to an older project on your challenge ;)

      Delete
  2. Loving your altered tea box and lucky lucky person it was it was gifted too!!
    Thanks for joining us over at eclectic Paperie and joining in the fun.
    Hugs
    Tracy
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sorry to see it go! I still have the photo and that helps :) Glad to have found the challenge, hope to join again soon ;)
      Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  3. LOVE THIS!!!! Thanks for playing along in the Altered Boxes challenge over at eP!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! All the boxes were so pretty and unique, so glad I found ep!

      Delete
  4. Such a great final product! I love the painting, stamping, inking on the cover...and the finished inside is grand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a hard time parting with it! lol

      Delete