Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Tuesday 411 on Cleaning: Woulds and Would Nots on Wood Floors


 Time to clean the wood floors!

Beautiful floors covered in dust and grime

This post will be short, more like a list.  

Wood floors are pretty easy to take care of IF you don’t make some of the mistakes I’ve made or I have seen others make.  What’s the best thing to use to clean your wood floors? 

WATER

That was a short list, huh? OK, here's more if you want it.

What works:

Sweep, vacuum, or Swiffer.

Water and elbow grease with a terry cloth mop is the safest, easiest way to clean your floors. Also, the cheapest. Damp mop only, not soaking wet.  Remove cloth often and rinse or you will get streaks.

 If you have a lot of dog slobber or foot traffic, Pledge makes a good floor cleaner that doesn't leave a residue on wood or laminate. Get the BLUE BOTTLE. For some reason it doesn't streak but the yellow bottle often does.


Murphy's Oil Soap is pretty good, if you like to use a bucket.  I prefer squirt or spray and go.

The BEST thing I have ever used on wood floors is Bellawood Hardwood Floor Cleaner. No residue, beautiful shine.  Hard to find, you may have to special order it or buy wherever Bella wood floors are sold.



* A friend told me that Bona floor cleaner also does a fantastic job on wood floors.  I have used their tile and laminate cleaner before, and was impressed with how easily it dissolved dried dog slobber. (Yuck!)  I'll be checking out their wood cleaner soon......

What doesn’t work:

No, no Mop and Glo.

Orange Glo may glow but leaves a coating that has to be maintained by their products.  Using something else after you have used Orange Glo makes the floors look cloudy and leaves streaks.  At least, that has been my experience.  They do have the BEST mop for an even sweep. Many mops don’t allow you to apply force evenly and that leaves streaks or causes you to have to keep going over and over the same spots. Their mop heads are easy to put on, take off, and rinse. 

Endust on a dust mop makes them shine….but watch out or you’ll be on your butt often.

MAGIC ERASER does not work on wood floors.  Trust me.

Too much water will eventually make the boards warp. Warped boards are hard to mop.

DO NOT USE STEAM or hot water. Your floors will never be the same again.


I love wood floors.  Here are some photos of the floors I clean weekly. 




Logically, I should cover vacuums next, because I have a lot to say about vacuums.  But at this point I have more whining and complaining than pros and cons. So, I'll hold that info for later. Here's a hint for next week: See the doors in the photos above?  How do they stay clean?

By the way, my friend Paulette at My Urban Pastures makes her own wood floor cleaner.  I haven't tried it yet, because when cleaning for others, I use what they request.  In my own home, the floors are lighter than hers, so I stick to water.  But a picture is worth a thousand words and her floors are gorgeous!  Take a look.








2 comments:

  1. I use a product called Bona. I love it! It leaves the floor shiny and not slippery and doesn't smell. It is also non-toxic, good for the environment, etc. No streaks either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Bona! They make it for wood floors? I have used it for tile and it IS really good. Thanks for mentioning that, I had forgotten about it. I'll have to update my post!

    ReplyDelete