Sunday, September 2, 2012

Between Friends

Yesterday, I posted Part 1 of the Squirrel Wars diary.  I am still learning how to navigate the blog and I didn't realize it didn't post on my main page.  You can find it here.

September is here. Summer is basically over.  It won't be completely over for me until I finish my 2 major summer projects and homeschool co-op begins. One of my summer projects will be completed this weekend, I hope.  My oldest daughter moved out on her own (mixed feelings) and I have been working on converting her room into a guest room and office.  I don't really need an "office", but I do need a quiet place with a desk to work on filing and organizing our life.  I will post photos when I'm done.

The summer project I am most excited about is an art journal collaboration project.  I learned about art journals several months ago and thanks to pinterest, I was inspired to start one of my own.  Actually, I have 4 going now, along with a doodle journal. They each have a theme-my favorite things, about me, just for fun, and one for pondering deeper issues of my life. I love being able to choose a journal page according to my mood.

2 of my personal journals

In the process of learning how to use different art techniques, I came across the idea of a round robin journal.  I liked the idea of having a journal with several others' artwork included.  I asked friends on facebook if anyone was interested in doing this project with me.  Friends asked their friends and before long we had 10 artists who wanted to participate. The project was named BETWEEN FRIENDS and the rule was the title of each journal had to include those words.  We each designed a journal with at least ten 2-page spreads and a sign in page.  I created a mailing list for each journal with a 2 week rotation schedule.

Here's how it worked:
I created my journal with a cover, 10 blank pages, a sign in page and instructions about the particular theme I had in mind.  I sent my journal to the first person on my list.  When she completed 2 pages in my journal, she sent it to the next person in line. We are spread out all over the country, from coast-to-coast. All ten of us did this, all at the same time. It has been like Christmas every two weeks. I created a facebook page to communicate, but no pictures or spoilers were allowed. I do not know all of the artists involved, some are friends of friends.  But  after working in their journals and seeing their art in others', it seems as though I have known them for a long time.

I had originally planned that at the end of the summer all journals would be mailed back to the original owners, but someone suggested that it would be fun to all meet and exchange journals face to face.  The idea of doing that seemed impossible.  Or at least, that's what I thought.  Turns out, we figured out a way to make it happen.  On Sept 29, we will meet in Wilmington, NC to return journals, meet face to face, and have a party, between friends.  I can hardly wait!

When this is over, I have an idea for another collaboration project: Sisterhood of the Traveling Journal.  One journal, several artists, creating pages of hope, inspiration, and encouragement for a very special "sister".  I don't know who that sister will be, yet.  Maybe you know someone who needs encouragement, maybe we will decide when it is over, maybe the journal will be sold with proceeds going towards a family or ministry in need.  If you have ideas or would like to get involved, contact me.  I'll be ready to start sometime this fall. In the meanwhile, happy journaling, between friends!


UPDATE: We met and exchanged journals!  It was such an awesome experience, both working in the journals and meeting everyone.  If you'd like to see photos of the journals and the meet-up, click here: Between Friends Art Journals

The Guest Room/Office is DONE! You can see photos here: Guest Room and Office Redo




4 comments:

  1. I LOVE the blog!! Now I get to see what you've been up to! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to be included in the Sisterhood. It would be a continuation of what we have already started.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I am in on the next journal project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will keep in touch with you all, thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete